resolving problems when some authoritative servers are down

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 20 00:39:41 UTC 2004

In article <c8gs8c$29n0$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "John Baker" <notanaddress at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Kevin Darcy" <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message
> news:c8e3o4$2mgt$1 at sf1.isc.org...
>
> > I can get responses from all 5 usmc.mil servers. Maybe you have some
> > intermittent networking problems that are causing all of the servers to
> > appear down from time to time (?)
> >

> >                                     - Kevin
>
> Hmm, this is what I see from one location. I am testing from two different
> networks and have problems on both (one of which I don't run and is
> different ASN and backbone)

I can't reproduce this from my home machine.  I get the A record from
alpha and charlie, and referrals from the others (www.usmc.mil is a
delegated subzone).

I used dig rather than nslookup.  Maybe nslookup is doing something
weird when it gets the referrals.  nslookup is a very lousy DNS
troubleshooting utility -- if you really want to investigate DNS
problems, learn to use dig.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA