reverse DNS and obtaining geographical data

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 21 19:16:05 UTC 2004

In article <c8lf4s$v0h$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Jerry Stuart <jefffphs at savas.us>
wrote:

> I hope this is the correct newsgroup for this question and if not, my
> apologies.
>
> I have a php script which pulls back the country domain (.de, .uk, .cr,
> etc.) and then performs redirection based on this information.  I'm
> wondering if this is the best method for this or does anyone know of
> method for determining the country (or, really the best, the actual
> registration information which contains the zip code or postal code) for
> a remote host requesting web services.
>
> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> J.

There used to be a periodic FAQ in comp.protocols.tcp-ip about trying to
get geographic information from IP addresses.  The bottom line is that
whatever technique you use will only be marginally accurate, because
many organizations are multi-national and use the same domains and/or
address blocks in all their offices around the world.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA