Bind and NSlookup

Robb Edge Robb.Edge at savant.co.uk
Tue May 25 14:59:58 UTC 2004

Got a small problem we cant quite fathom out.
Have Bind 8.1 running on VMS (TCPIP 5.3) as primay DNS server.
We have 2 secondary servers, 1 is another VMS server running 8.1 and the 2nd
is a Windows 2000 server.
On the primary bind server have the 6 delegated zones for AD.
_msdcs    IN NS    savad
etc etc etc.
Now the fun part.
Do an nslookup against the Windows server with set type=ns for _msdcs and we
get the following:

> server 172.20.0.4
Default Server:  dns1.savant.co.uk
Address:  172.20.0.4

> set type=ns
> _msdcs
Server:  dns1.savant.co.uk
Address:  172.20.0.4

Non-authoritative answer:
_msdcs.savant.co.uk     nameserver = savad.savant.co.uk
_msdcs.savant.co.uk     nameserver = savant.savant.co.uk

savad.savant.co.uk      internet address = 172.20.1.100
savant.savant.co.uk     internet address = 172.20.1.1

which is correct.

But point to the VMS bind server and we get this:

C:\WINDOWS>nslookup
Default Server:  dns3.savant.co.uk
Address:  172.20.0.6

> set type=ns
> _msdcs
Server:  dns3.savant.co.uk
Address:  172.20.0.6

Non-authoritative answer:
_msdcs.savant.co.uk     canonical name = bed.uk.clara.net

uk.clara.net
        primary name server = ns0.clara.net
        responsible mail addr = hostmaster.clara.net
        serial  = 2004052501
        refresh = 10800 (3 hours)
        retry   = 3600 (1 hour)
        expire  = 1209600 (14 days)
        default TTL = 18000 (5 hours)

Something some where is not right me thinks!!

Any help appreciated.

--
Robb
'97 Firestorm