multiple CNAMEs revisited

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 26 00:35:35 UTC 2004

Chris De Young wrote:

>On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 04:49:15PM -0700, CS wrote:
>

>>This is a testy subject, and I'm fully aware that what I want/need to
>>do is not allowed.
>>

>Since you know that all bets are off, I guess I'd say try it and see
>if it works.  :)
>

>>I need to add two more smaller servers to this cluster, so I'd like to
>>alter the weighting in DNS.
>>

>With the exception of MX records, I don't know of any mechanism within
>bind to give more "weight" to one record (of the same type) over
>another within the set of records for a particular label.  Doesn't
>mean there isn't one that I don't know about though...

Sorry to nitpick, but MX preferencing isn't really "weighting" in the
strict sense of the word. Equal-preference MX records are randomized,
but within that randomization, each record is given the same weight. And
unequal-preference MX records are only used for failover.

SRV records have a real weighting mechanism, but unfortunately very few
clients use SRV records, including the crown jewels, web browsers.