8.4.4 reverse zone problems

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed May 26 06:35:12 UTC 2004

David Price <davelist at blackhole.com> wrote:
> I am having a problem with a BIND 8.4.4 server refusing to recognize a
> reverse zone.

> I have a /20 block of IPs, for example lets say: 10.20.192.0/20. The
> zone command in the named.conf looks like [[zone "20.10.in-addr.arpa" {
> type master; file "20.10.in-addr.arpa.hosts"; };]]. The zone file then
> contains a rather long list of all of our pointer records in the form of
> [[192.1 IN PTR host.domain.com.]] (topped with the appropriate SOA and
> NS records of course). This works well in 8.3.3. For some reason 8.4.4
> behaves as if the zone command isn't even in the named.conf file - it
> fails to respond to dig against the reverse zone. I tried everything I
> could think of but 8.4.4 refuses to recognize the zone file. One thing I
> tried was to use 192.20.10.in-addr.arpa for the zone. This seemed to
> work for the 192.20.10.in-addr.arpa records anyway. So I'm thinking
> there may be a problem with Bind 8.4.4 not recognizing the
> larger-than-a-standard-C-block reverse zone.

> The platform is RedHat 7.3, BIND 8.3.3 works perfectly, and all the
> forward zones work fine regardless of BIND version. Is this a BIND bug,
> am I missing something, or am I doomed to break the huge zone file into
> bunches of separate /24 sized zones?

As a sidenote, stating your zone is "20.10.in-addr.arpa" when
only a /20 is assigned is wrong. ( you will not be able to
resolve the other parts of 20.10.in-addr.arpa delegated to others).
The correct procedure is to create 64 'C' zones ( which by the way
is not so difficult or time-consuming) and in addition only
a fraction of your data needs reloading when updating zonedata.

--
Peter Håkanson