"Abusing" BIND DNS Server as Networked HOSTS File...

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Wed May 26 22:31:16 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 05/26/2004 01:03:12 AM:
[clip...]

> > You may also want to consider not forwarding to your ISP's
nameservers,
> > if you have a choice in the matter. Frequently, forwarding doesn't
> > deliver the performance benefits that people expect. Doing your own
> > iterative resolution also makes you less dependent on your ISP's
> > nameservice.
> >
> > - Kevin
>
> hmmm.. ur right. but i thought i would act less "aggressive" to the
internet
> if i use the NS at my ISP to make use of its cache and other stuff
rather
> than making direkt load to the root servers. of course some  of my
request
> will go up to the top even i use my ISPs NS as forwarder. but wont it
save
> traffic load?   am i wrong?

Another reason you might want to not forward to your ISP's name server(s)
is that they may go down, and if they go down, you go down.  They might
change their IP addresses and once again, you go down.  I am a consultant
and I run into this problem a lot.  Customer calls in and their network
has been down all day, they have BellSouth T1 service on one line, Cisco
TAC on another line, Checkpoint/Nokia support on another and me on their
cell.  I say "you don't happen to forward to your ISP's name servers, do
you?"... Problem solved.

hth,

Dave...