Trying to setup Bind9 DNS first time

Yogesh Sharma ysharma at catprosystems.com
Thu May 27 06:18:34 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am trying to setup Bind 9 with chroot on gentoo based server. I have
domain purchased from godaddy.com and created ns1.catprosystems.net and
ns2.catprosystems.net, currently both are pointing to my home server  IP
66.116.69.208 using godaddy DNS service. I have another domain purchased
from  iregistrations.com jthebroker.com. When I am try to set name
server for jthebroker.com at iregistrations.com it fails to set
ns1.catprosystems.net and ns2.catprosystems.net. I have another domain
with godaddy and I tried to set ns1/ns2.catprosystems.net as nameserver
and it failed.

my named.conf is:

options {
         directory "/var/bind";
         listen-on-v6 { none; };
         listen-on { 127.0.0.1; 192.168.101.1; 66.116.69.208; };
         pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
         zone-statistics yes;
         recursion no;
};

zone "." IN {
         type hint;
         file "named.cache";
};

zone "localhost" IN {
         type master;
         file "pri/localhost.zone";
         allow-update { none; };
         notify no;
};

zone "127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
         type master;
         file "pri/127.zone";
         allow-update { none; };
         notify no;
};

I opened firewall port 53. Started named. What else do I need to do so
the godaddy / iregistrations can allow me to set
ns1/ns2.catprosystems.net as nameserver. My all config files are in
/chroot/dns/ directory.

Thanks
YSharma