CNAME and other data -vs- could not find NS and/or SOA records

phil-news-nospam at ipal.net phil-news-nospam at ipal.net
Mon May 31 19:49:36 UTC 2004

I have a domain (several of them, actually) in which I need to CNAME them
to another domain (which is under someone else's authority).  So if I put
in a CNAME record, BIND gives this message in syslog and fails to load the
zone:

    CNAME and other data

The only other records were SOA and NS.  So when I remove them, BIND gives
this message in syslog and fails to load the zone:

    could not find NS and/or SOA records

So how do I bypass this conundrum?  Is there a way to force BIND to accept
the zone anyway?  Or is a patch to BIND source needed?  And if I have to
patch it, would it be better to force BIND to accept the zone with, or
without, the SOA/NS records (I would think with would be better).

Example zone "foo.example.com" hosted on "ns1.example.net" and
"ns2.example.net" with a CNAME target of "bar.example.org" where
"example.com" is under separate authority and delgates "foo.example.com"
to "ns1.example.net" and "ns2.example.net", and both "example.org" and
"bar.example.org" are under separate authority.

Example 1, with SOA and NS records:
$TTL 10800
@                       SOA     ns1.example.net. dnsmaster.example.net. (
                                0               ; serial number