simple local caching DNS

Charles Cala charles_cala at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 20:34:42 UTC 2004

--- Clarence Brown <clabrown at granitepost.com> wrote:

> Well, I guess I'm a little unsure of having a reverse zone without
> a forward zone.... What are the ramifications of that?

no big deal, as long as you are the only one going to
be affected by the data.

> Maybe a "fake" internal zone?
That’s the route go for internal dns servers,
making  records that point to
10.15.10.2 and my.dnns.server.domain

> How **__SHOULD__** this be handled?

It should be done in  whatever way works for you.
nslookup is trying to verify a forward/rev for all your
boxes on the internal network.

You have set up a caching only dns server, witch is cool,
but if it is the only  dns server on your network
there is no way to define that machine in the ip space.

You can solve this by having the data on each machine
(on a .hosts file) or  the data on a central source,
(your dns server). DNS came along because people kept
emailing .hosts files around, and they were getting
way to big, and out of date rapidly.

This is something that you have to figure out
for your own environment.

for example if you are setting up this dns server for
your home host files might be be better, if you
work for the isp granitepost.com, doing it on the
dns server would  be better,  (or on another server).

Life is interconnected in various subtle ways,
and so is the web of dns. Understanding the impact
of doing something before you do it is wise.

Experimenting in a small scale such as you are
doing is a wise step.