How to reach an internal web server via domain name

Kerry Thompson kerry at security.geek.nz
Thu Nov 4 21:10:07 UTC 2004

Check that your client PCs are using 10.0.0.10 as their DNS server, and
nothing else. Because clients will be using this server exclusively,
you'll need to configure a forwarder on the DNS server to forward internet
lookups to your internet DNS server ( ISP server or whatever ).

Rather than using a browser, you should be able to run this command:
  nslookup www.eee.nl 10.0.0.10

to query the DNS server directly from the client and get a response with
the correct 10.0.0.10 address.

Also check that you can run that nslookup on the DNS server itself, using
both its interface IP and loopback :
  nslookup www.eee.nl 10.0.0.10
  nslookup www.eee.nl 127.0.0.1

Kerry