BIND only resolves hostname on the second attempt

Luigi Semenzato luigi at semenzato.com
Wed Nov 10 19:52:12 UTC 2004

I would like to add a comment from my own experience.

I had exactly the same problem: slow resolution of uncached domains,
about 4-5 seconds.  On the Mac, that's enough to time out some
resolver routines, such as those used by Safari, but I could see
the delays from Linux too.  I was running bind 9.2.4.  I upgraded
to 9.3.0 and made sure that named gets started with the -4 option.
The problem is now gone.

Had I not found this thread I would still be scratching my head.
This problem makes me wonder if my choice of bind9 for a small
home setup is overkill.

Thank you!
Luigi