issue getting response from some gtld servers

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Nov 12 13:41:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 07:23:43AM -0600,
 Will Yardley <&- at no.spam.veggiechinese.net> wrote
 a message of 39 lines which said:

> aura% dig @a.gtld-servers.net net. soa
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.3rc3 <<>> @a.gtld-servers.net net. soa
> ;; global options:  printcmd

a.gtld-servers (as well as B) now has an IPv6 address. Your IPv6
routing seems down.

With a recent dig (> 9.2 ?), you can use the -4 option to force
IPv4. Or you can either fix IPv6 or disable it.

> My system seems to be resolving a.gtld-servers.net itself just fine:
> aura% dig a.gtld-servers.net +sh
> 192.5.6.30

By default, dig queries a A record. But it uses getaddrinfo to find
the address of the server it queries.