How to find all aliases of an object using nslookup ??

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 17 00:48:40 UTC 2004

Paul Bullack wrote:

>Hello there,
>
>how can I determine ALL aliases of a DNS object using nslookup
>(if possible, not the interactive way) only by command line.

There's no feasible way to find every instance in every zone file of a
CNAME pointing to a particular name, just as there's no feasible way to
find every instance of the phrase "rubber buggy bumpers" scrawled into
every personal diary throughout the world.

If you want to find all CNAMEs pointing to a particular name in
*your*own* zones, then you could grep the zone files. Or to find all
instances in zones for which you have zone transfer permission, do the
zone transfers of each and look through the data.