Split DNS Forward problem

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Mon Nov 22 20:48:09 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 11/22/2004 02:03:57 PM:
> Our company have been taken over by a larger company. Now I've to
configure
> our DNS that it resolvs the domain names from the company that has taken
us
> over. Problem is that they are using a split DNS system.
> So I can make for example a forward zone in my DNS and point that to the

> internal nameserver.But then the external hostnames aren't resolvable.

The premise behind a split DNS is that the internal clients do not need
the "external" information.  In other words, you are treated as either
"inside" the network or "outside" the network, not both.  You can be sure
that internal clients at the larger company do not resolve names from the
external zones.  If you are now "part of their network" you should be able
to survive with the same view of the name space as they do.

hth,

Dave...