Basic setup problem

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Nov 23 01:32:21 UTC 2004

At 04:51 PM 11/22/2004, David Botham wrote:
>bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 11/22/2004 02:12:05 PM:
>[clip...]
> > >Having never set up my own domain name on my own box, what happened
> > >with the above setup is that anyone typing http://www.example.org into
> > >their browser would end up at my site; however, the address bar of
> > >their browser would now read http://0.0.0.0 instead of
> > >http://www.example.org.
> > >
>DNS does not control this behavior, it is controlled by the 'title' html
>tags:
>
><TITLE> www.example.org </TITLE>

That is totally untrue. The Title tag has to do with what is displayed in the
title bar. It has nothing whatsoever to do with his problem.

The 0.0.0.0 address is NOT a static address, it's the wildcard address.
You may not use it for a static address. the host line in the HTTP
protocol is used to send the actual hostname being requested. Most
HTTP servers today can be set up as virtual servers and use different
hierarchies dependent on the name in the host line. Read your
documentation on your HTTP server for details.

Danny