Really odd one: parts of global DNS just dropped off the map

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Wed Nov 24 18:07:56 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 11/24/2004 05:35:32 AM:
> I've never seen this one ever before, and I don't even really know
> where to ask.
>
> Apologies if this is off-topic, but here goes.
>
> I administer the primary DNS for a bunch of domains which our company
> hosts, plus mail and DNS for the customers of our ISP. The primary DNS
> server is a Dell Poweredge running FreeBSD hosted at Telehouse in
> London's docklands.
>
> Some point yesterday afternoon (GMT). I started getting reports that
> certain sites were failing on DNS. Notably www.nasa.gov, which my boss
> uses to demonstrate that broadband is operating. The fact that he
> discovered this five minutes before I was planning to go home, and
> when he couldn't leave a client's site because they were not
> distinguishing between bad DNS and lack of connectivity helped none of
> our tempers in the matter.
>
> It seemed a bunch of (mainly US-based) sites were failing DNS. Other
> (UK-based) worked fine. Trying another server in the same facility
> gave the same result. Finally I switced forwarders to another ISP and
> called it a day.

If you are using forwarders and the name server that you forward to have
problems, then you will have problems.  Consider not using forwarding and
let your name servers resolve normally.

hth,

Dave...

[clip...]