Multiple domains on one server

Rick Knight rick at rlknight.com
Wed Nov 24 17:45:47 UTC 2004

Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Rick Knight wrote:
>

>>Hope someone can answer this for me, I've searched the 'net looking for an
>>answer but can't quite find one.
>>
>>I own two domains, home.com and sales.com. Currently I have home.com up
>>and running, without any problems, on a single server. My DNS seems to be
>>working perfectly along with ftp and www servers. Now I've configured the
>>server with an additional IP address for sales.com.  I want to add
>>sales.com to my existing DNS so that I will have both home.com and
>>sales.com running on the same server with seperate IPs. How do I go about
>>doing this? Is it possible? I keep finding hints about it but nothing
>>concrete.
>>

> I'll assume your question is about how to get two DNS zones served from
> a nameserver with multiple interfaces. BIND will by default listen on
> all active interfaces, so there's no special configuration needed. It'll
> even scan periodically for new interfaces (the scan frequency is
> configurable and can even be set to 0 if all of your interfaces are
> static). Just define the sales.com and home.com zones in named.conf,
> delegate sales.com to that server (and its slave(s)), just like you've
> already delegated home.com, and start serving both zones.
>
> Optionally, you could have a different name resolve to the second IP
> address and delegate sales.com to that (and its slave(s)). But frankly,
> I don't see why you'd go through the administrative bother of doing
> that. Some experts recommend that you delegate exclusively to names that
> are in the zone being delegated, but personally I regard that as wishful
> thinking on their parts.
>
> BTW, if by any chance you're thinking about trying to satisfy the "at
> least 2 nameservers for every zone" rule by running both "nameservers"
> on the same box, think again -- the whole purpose of the rule is to
> ensure redundancy, and you don't get much of that when you run both on a
> single box.
>
> As for getting multiple virtual hosts defined in your webserver, that's
> off-topic for this list...
>

>             - Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

I think I have things setup correctly. My existing domain has been working
fine for a couple of years. I recently added the new domain and things
still seem to be fine. My ftp and www are working. I have a couple of
virtual servers (Apache) setup and working also. The problem is with
sendmail. It's not seeing the new domain correctly and someone suggested
that my DNS was the problem.

Can you take a look at my DNS configs and give any suggestions. I'm using
the real names below, not the fakes, home.com and sale.com?

Thanks
Rick Knight

named.conf...
options {
	directory "/var/named";
};
zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "named.ca";
};
zone "rlknight.com"{
	type master;
	file "rlknight.com";
};
zone "centralvalleydiscountelectronics.com"{
	type master;
	file "centralvalleydiscountelectronics.com";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa"{
	type master;
	file "127.0.0";
};
zone "0.88.165.64.in-addr.arpa"{
	type master;
	file "64.165.88.0";
};

rlknight.com...
;
; Zone file for rlknight.com
;
; The full zone file
;
$TTL	86400
;
@		IN	SOA	knight-linux.rlknight.com.	rick.rlknight.com. (
			2004112310 ; serial
			28800 ; refresh
			7200 ; retry
			604800 ; expire
			86400 ; default_ttl
			)
@		IN	NS	knight-linux.rlknight.com.
		IN	NS	ns1.pbi.net.
		IN	NS	ns2.pbi.net.
@		IN	MX	10	mail.rlknight.com.

localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1
mail		IN	A	64.165.88.6
catdads		IN	A	64.165.88.6
secure		IN	A	64.165.88.6
ftp		IN	A	64.165.88.6
knight-fw	IN	A	64.165.88.2
knight-linux	IN	A	64.165.88.6
www		IN	A	64.165.88.4

centralvalleydiscount~.com...
;
; Zone file for centralvalleydiscountelectronics.com ; ; The full zone
file
;
$TTL	86400
;
@		IN	SOA	knight-linux2.centralvalleydiscountelectronics.com.
rick.centralvalleydiscountelectronics.com. (
			2004112301 ; serial
			28800 ; refresh
			7200 ; retry
			604800 ; expire
			86400 ; default_ttl
			)
@		IN	NS	knight-linux.rlknight.com.
		IN	NS	ns1.pbi.net.
		IN	NS	ns2.pbi.net.
@		IN	MX	20	mail.centralvalleydiscountelectronics.com.

localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1
mail		IN	A	64.165.88.5
www		IN	A	64.165.88.5
secure		IN	A	64.165.88.5
ftp		IN	A	64.165.88.5
knight-linux2	IN	A	64.165.88.5

64.165.88.0 ...
;
;	64.165.88.0
;
$TTL	86400
;
@		IN	SOA	knight-linux.rlknight.com.	rick.rlknight.com (
			2000110901 ; serial
			28800 ; refresh
			14400 ; retry
			3600000 ; expire
			86400 ; default_ttl
			)
@		IN	NS	knight-linux.rlknight.com.
		IN	NS	knight-fw.rlknight.com.
		IN	NS	ns1.pbi.net.
		IN	NS	ns2.pbi.net.
		IN	NS	knight-linux.rlknight.com.
2		IN	PTR	knight-fw.rlknight.com.
6		IN	PTR	knight-linux.rlknight.com.
4		IN	PTR	www.rlknight.com.
5		IN	PTR	knight-linux2.centralvalleydiscountelectronics.com.