AXFR does not look at Domain name

Swapna Prasad swapna56782004 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 25 09:04:06 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I do a AXFR zone Transfer to get the list of hosts in my domain. The way I do is I connect to the DNS Server in my domain on port 53 using TCP. Then send a DNS query as specified by RFC1034(header,question,response...etc). the question section takes domain name, class, type etc. I get the response...everything works fine.

      But I found that it does not look at the Domain name field at all. What ever the value in the domain name field it does the zone transfer of the zone records present in the DNS server to which it is I have connected. Is this the way it has to work or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance

Swapna