Impact of having loghost defined in DNS...?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Nov 29 00:19:38 UTC 2004

At 04:40 AM 11/28/2004, Gregory Hicks wrote:
>Greetings:
>
>Not sure if this is "on-topic" or not, but what would you expect the
>impact of defining "loghost" to be 127.0.0.1 via DNS...
>
>My db.127.0.0 PTR file already has
>
>1.0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA.         IN  PTR   localhost.
>
>entered, and I don't see how any other name can be added to this when
>running under Bind 9.3...

You can add as many records as you like. However there are no known
applications that ever look beyond the first record nor is it clear why
it would need to.

>It would be possible to define loghost as
>
>loghost.example.com.    IN A 127.0.0.1
>localhost.example.com.  IN A 127.0.0.1
>
>in the main zone file, but I don't see any other way to do it other
>than defining the entry in the /etc/hosts file.

Those are valid records. /etc/hosts only affects the local system.

>Any thoughts on any potential impacts?

No impact. It's not clear why you want to define a "loghost". Maybe
you should tell us the problem you are trying to solve instead
of this non-problem.

Danny