help with 3rd level domain setup

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Oct 24 02:04:22 UTC 2004

In article <clejfi$2k3f$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "Brent" <misterb at bmyster.com>
wrote:

> I was wondering how do you setup a 3rd level domain like...im not sure if
> that terminolgy is correct...however im  looking to do something like using
> bind 9.2.3 on Freebsd.
>
> "whatever.domain.com"
>
> all help is greatly appreciated

I assume this subdomain is not being hosted on the same servers as
domain.com (if it is, you just put the name "whatever" in the domain.com
zone file).

In the zone file for domain.com, add NS records that delegate to the
nameservers for the subdomain:

whatever IN NS otherserver.otherdomain.com.
         IN NS otherserver2.otherdomain.com.

On those servers, add zones for them in the named.conf files:

zone "whatever.domain.com" {
  type [ master | slave ];
  file "db.whatever.domain.com";
};