libbind and/or replacement

Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr
Tue Oct 26 12:11:18 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm writting a multithreaded application which needs to do DNS
queries. All I need is to query about A and MXs records and
eventually TXT records.

As it's a multithreaded application, I can't use res_query and
similar functions, but res_nquery...

The first problem is that most OSs doesn't have res_nNNN series
of functions in their libraries.

So I digged into bind 9 code and checked libbind.

I saw many other people writting many different solutions to do
dns queries inside multithreaded applications, but none of them
is integrated on a standard library.

What could be a good solution for me, without having to dig into
specific DNS communications programming ? Integrating libbind
code into my application, asking people to install libbind into
their system or is there any other better library I could base
my application ?

I've already wrote some functions to do what I want to parse
DNS packets, I get using res_NNN functions.

Jose-Marcio

  Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ           Tel. :(33) 01.40.51.93.41
  Ecole des Mines de Paris              http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
  60, bd Saint Michel                http://www.ensmp.fr/~martins
  75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06      mailto:Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr