libbind and/or replacement

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard at Tesco.NET
Wed Oct 27 03:42:04 UTC 2004

JMMdC> [...] is there any other better library I could base my application ?

There's an asynchronous DNS Client library in the public domain.

<URL:http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/blurb/library.html>
<URL:http://skarnet.org./software/skalibs/libdns.html>
<URL:http://usinglinux.org./dns/libdjbdns.html>
<URL:http://www.fefe.de./djb/>
<URL:http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/res-disaster.html>

There's also a DNS Client library that is subject to the GPL, and is
thus a carrier of the GPL virus (i.e. only usable if your program itself
is licensed under GPL-compatible terms).

<URL:http://www.fefe.de./libowfat/>
<URL:http://www.fsf.org./licenses/why-not-lgpl.html>

Note, for comparison with both of the above, that the BIND copyright
licence is exhibiting the same sort of problems, with multiple companies
all wanting their names mentioned, that the original BSD licence had.

<URL:http://www-eleves-isia.cma.fr./Doc/bind-utils-9.2.3/COPYRIGHT>
<URL:http://www.fsf.org./philosophy/bsd.html>