Dynamic DNS & SDB

Rob Butler crodster2k at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 17:21:49 UTC 2004

Jack,

You may want to checkout Bind-DLZ.
http://bind-dlz.sf.net

It is similar to the SDB drivers, but has a few more
features.  It's most important feature is that it
operates on multiple zones at once, unlike the SDB
drivers.  Also, DLZ supports a wide variety of
databases; MySQL, PostgreSQL, LDAP, Berkeley DB, ODBC,
and more are supported.

Like SDB DLZ currently does not support dynamic
updates, but support for that could be added to DLZ
just as easily as it could be added to SDB.  The
advantage of doing this work in DLZ instead of SDB is
that DLZ supports more drivers than SDB currently
does.  The work of supporting dynamic updates could
then be used with more database backends than just the
LDAP one.

I had planned on eventually adding dynamic DNS support
to DLZ, but I have been too busy to undertake that
work at this time.  I'd be more than happy to help
guide the work though if you wanted to do this for
DLZ.

Later
Rob
DLZ author