sending notifies from slave server

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Oct 6 16:02:20 UTC 2004

saravanan ganapathy <sarav_gsa at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I am using bind 9.2.1 in my debian system and it
>works well both in master & slave servers.
>
>When the zone transfer completes, I was noticed that "
>zone abc.com/IN: sending notifies (serial 11) " &
>zone 211.19.20.in-addr.arpa/IN: sending notifies
>(serial 11) " in the slave server.
>    Generally the primary server will send a
>notification and the slave servers will accept. But
>why slave servers send a notification? To whom it will
>send?

Others have already posted answers, but I will post one more.  It is
perfectly legal for a slave server to transfer a zone from another
slave, if the zones are configured to do that.  Therefore, a slave
server sends NOTIFY packets to the servers in the "Notify Set".
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov