Curious about inconsistent DNS service

MsOsWin at nonooo.com MsOsWin at nonooo.com
Fri Oct 8 03:31:21 UTC 2004

Today my ISP seems to have DNS trouble. (Recording on voice support
simply says they have trouble. Unspecified). I discovered this trouble
by checking log of batch pings, pinging domains or pinging true
numerical IPs.

(some of) My news and mail setups uses true IPs, so work fine. The true
IP for my ISP's http works in the browser. But my ISP's domain name
doesn't connect.

I've tried a few big-name links. Google. BBC, yahoo... no connect, and I
see dnserror flash in status bar.
I've disconnected power modem, router, and shutdown computer, then
reconnected, restarted. Seems the same.

I expect the ISP will fix whatever they're working on, so no worries.
But I'm curious if there's a reason for this apparent anomaly:
http://www.sfgate.com/ connects, navigable!

TIA, etc. :-)