named error: expected prefix length near '4'

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Oct 11 23:31:23 UTC 2004

In article <ckf3ch$2g1r$1 at sf1.isc.org>, flashl at bigfoot.com (Benu)
wrote:

> I have been worked religiously for the past four weeks to understand
> DNS and get it up and running on my linux box. I have read and re-read
> Bind 9 administrator guide (daily), BIND FAQS, and various posts on
> the net. Now, I am at the point where I am no longer certain of
> anything.
>
> I have a homenetwork with three machines (Fedora Core 2, XP, and
> Win2K) using a Belkin router on a Cable Network (Dynamic IP). I
> urgently need to move a website from a hosting service.
>
> To prepare for the move of the website, I have been testing my DNS
> configuration with a parked domain (rescue911design.com) and free
> domain (benu.widge.net) before addressing the live site.
>
> Currently, all seems to be working internally, but I have sporadic
> success  serving the internal network while accessing the internet.
> What have been particularly confusing to me is: there is root domain
> information in the cache and a dig command with +norec correctly looks
> up the A records for various hosts. I do not understand why the dig
> and host commands returns SERVFAIL when the data is in the cache for
> the homelan view.

Could you provide some example queries that fail?

If you try to look up something in rescue911design.com or benu.widge.net
from your homelan, it won't use the data from the zone files, it should
forward to the ISP nameservers.  This is because you only list these
zones in the external-nets view.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA