nameservers sharing IP

Steve Friedl steve at unixwiz.net
Tue Oct 12 18:27:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 03:13:15AM -0700, Jaunty Edward wrote:
> i wanted to ask if there is a way by which Nameservers can share a IP,
> I have seen many hosting companies giving nameservers for a low
> ammount How can they do this if there is a limit of IPs in the world,
> I am sure one day we will be left with no IPs,
> So it will be nice if any one can tell me can nameservers share IPs
> and if yes then is there anyway to find it out who is sharing what.

Well, only one nameserver *program* can run on a single IP, but one
nameserver can host as many domains as you like: hosting companies simply
add your zones into their existing servers.

Steve

--
Stephen J Friedl | Security Consultant |  UNIX Wizard  |   +1 714 544-6561
www.unixwiz.net  | Tustin, Calif. USA  | Microsoft MVP | steve at unixwiz.net