nameservers sharing IP

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Wed Oct 13 19:57:09 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 10/13/2004 12:22:03 AM:
> Hi Steve,
> thanks for the info, but adding zones in the server does not create a
> new nameserver it only asssigns a nameserver to the new domain. But if

I think it depends on how you difine a "nameserver".  If you what to have
the same name server referred to by different names like this:

ns1.foo1.com
ns2.foo2.com
ns3.foo3.com

where all three domain names have the same IP, this is quite straight
forward.

However, if you what one instance of an operating system to laod and run
two seperate copies of name server software and have both of them use the
same IP address, well, that is practically impossible.  From and IP Stack
perspective, it is very difficult to have 2 processes bind to the same IP
addess.

Which are you attempting to accomplish?

Dave...