DNS Failover

Allie M Hopkins allie at lsu.edu
Thu Oct 14 13:25:54 UTC 2004

I would search the archives.  I've looked into free solutions such as Ultra
Monkey.  This may help you out.

Allie

|         |           "Pete Tenereillo"|
|         |           <pt_bind at hotmail.|
|         |           com>             |
|         |           bind-users-bounce|
|         |           @isc.org         |
|         |           10/14/2004 07:59 |
  |                                                                                                                               |
  |       To:       "Greg Maccarone" <gmaccarone at gmail.com>, "Anthony Wilkins" <anthony_wlkns at yahoo.com>                          |
  |       cc:       <comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org>, (bcc: Allie M Hopkins/allie/LSU)                                           |
  |       Subject:  Re: DNS Failover                                                                                              |

Anthony mentioned he has a Web app, so that TTL trick won't work reliably.
The low TTL would be seen by servers "throughout the rest of the world" but

TTL are ignored by most clients (and many proxy servers), so all existing
users (and users that share such proxies) will be stuck on the downed
server. Check out:

http://www.tenereillo.com/GSLBPageOfShame.htm

for details. IMO for failover you are better off putting both servers at
the
same site, using local load balancing (there are some very cost effective
solutions available now) and redundant power and Internet connections.

Pete.