DNS Failover

Pete Tenereillo pt_bind at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 14 16:08:09 UTC 2004

Maria,

A new DNS resolution is required if a single A record is returned. The only
version of IE that does a new DNS resolution without being restarted is
WinXP SP2. Microsoft was notified that GSLBs do not work correctly for
failover with single A records, some of the vendors worked with them, and
they changed the behavior in the release that came out a few weeks ago.
WinXP SP1 and previous versions of IE, and NetScape (i.e. the vast majority
of Internet clients) have the issue. I don't know about Firefox etc.
Browsers aside, many proxy servers will defeat what you are trying to do
with failover and your GSLBs.

Pete.