Subject: Re: DNS Failover

TIM MOORE MOORET10 at odjfs.state.oh.us
Fri Oct 15 12:10:55 UTC 2004

Anthony,

Is this website owned by a company or you as an individual?  If I had proper funds, I would not be trying to find a DNS failover solution.  I think trying to use DNS for failover is the wrong way to go about it.  If possible, I would either setup 2 webservers and sit them behind a load balancer of some type (like a Cisco CSS).  There are other possibilities based upon your network.  How is this remote site connected to your local site?  For example, we run ATM over our backbone connection to multiple sites.  We could setup an e-lan between two different sites and it would appear as though all hosts on the e-lan from both sites are in the same vlan.  This would allow us to address servers with the same subnet although they are in two different physical locations.  This is just one example of how you could utilize a network to enhance redundancy.  Sorry if this is more than you were looking for.