named-checkconf.exe fails fatally

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Mon Oct 18 17:09:52 UTC 2004

----- Original Message Follows -----
> This is my first post.
> I am running Windows XP and Bind 9.3, the latest release.
>
> The installation seemed to go OK, so I proceeded to create
> configuration files in the etc directory under
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns. On  installation I was provided with a
> "named" user and I have given full  permission to this user on the dns
> directory and everything below it. But I  am not getting far. When I
> run named-checkconf.exe to check named.conf I get  a fatal application
> error after a few seconds. The error seems to be an  access violation
> and mentions the ntdll.dll. Perhaps it is because I failed  to give
> named user a password? There is no named group either.

Did you also give read access permissions to the account under which you
are running named-checkconf? It needs that in order to read the file and
directory/subdirectories where the files are located.
What's the exact error message. You should always give an account a
password
even if it can only be used by the service. I thought I had checked for
an empty password, but a quick check only shows that it only checks that
the confirm password is the same as the original password.

> Before getting down to other details, however, I would like to ask a
> different question. What I am trying to do is quite straightforward. I
> have  a web page that is in my own PC and I am serving it up with
> Apache and  Tomcat. The domain name I am working with goes like this:
> martyskinder.dip.jp. I am updating this dynamically, so that when my
> IP  changes the domain name servers still point to the right location.
> What I  need to do is to add the possibility of a www. out the front
> of it when  people access it. I am trying to install Bind in the same
> PC as my webserver  to provide the final link to www. Will this work?
>
> Using something like:
> www       IN CDATA     martyskinder.dip.jp
> at the bottom of a martyskinder.dip.jp.zone file?

That should be CNAME not CDATA, otherwise this should work. You will
need
to run nsupdate every time your IP address changes so that that address
in the nameserver will be uptodate.

> How much do I need in the way of configuration files for a bare
> minimum?

Almost nothing needs to be there. You do need a directory directive in
options to tell it where to get files from that you are using in
named.conf.

> Thank you in advance to anyone who might guide me.
>
> Ian Wark.

Danny