Query on forwarding in Bind 9.2.x

Lokesh K KLokesh at novell.com
Tue Oct 19 12:29:49 UTC 2004

I am doing some testing with Bind 9.2.x on SUSE Linux, and found that
query resolution to child zones through glue records is not working if
one or more forwards configured. Following is my test scenario. Please,
let me know if something is wrong with my configuration.

1. parent.com is a zone with a child zone child.parent.com. As usual,
parent.com has glue records pointing to Name servers of child zone.
2. parent.com name server has 3 forwarders configured and forwarding is
configured to forward first.
3. child.parent.com has a record called baby.

With this configuration, if I query parent.com name server for
baby.child.parent.com, query resolution fails.
But, if I remove forwarding in parent.com name server query resolution
to baby.child.parent.com works fine.
As per Bind 9 documentation, we can avoid forwarding to a zone using
empty forward list (e.g. forwarders { }). But, there is no mention of
how to use this option to avoid forwarding queries on child zones.
Please, let me know whether it's a defect or we need to configure it
differently

Thanks in Advance,
Lokesh