Logging and errormessages

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Fri Sep 3 13:44:48 UTC 2004

Hi,

I use Bind 9.3 and the Admins are allowed to update the DNS-RR with
nsupdate. Now I have two wishes and maybe one of you can gave me a hint how
to do it:

First, I want to log who update what RR with nsupdate. The only idea I have
is to write a wrapper around nsupdate which do the logging. Or is there a
way to let nsupdate write a logfile on his own?
The Logfile of the Bind-server is not useable, because there are also the
updates from other DNS-server in it and when I grep the right updates, I
have Problems with the rotating of the Logfiles not to miss any records.
Also, I miss who (which user) made the update.

The second Problem is: Is there a way to get a response from the
Bind-Server, if an update go wrong? For example:
The Admin want to delete the myname.mydomain.com, but accidently he typed
mygame.mydomain.com
Of course, the bind cannot guess, what the user have meant, but is there a
possibility to get an errormessage, if the Record mygame.mydomain.com
doesn't exist?
The only way I figured out yet is setting the Bind-Server on logging-level
debug 8 and looking at the update-log for a message "redundant request".
Is there another way?

Thanks,
Tom.

--
NEU: Bis zu 10 GB Speicher für e-mails & Dateien!
1 GB bereits bei GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail