bind versions and update-security category availability

cat54me cat54me at yahoo.it
Fri Sep 3 09:40:19 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I am running Bind 9.2.3 for an hosting company, there are a few hundreds
domain zones on the server and in the log files there are lot of
messages about denied DNS dynamic updates.

I would like to get rid of that entries.

It is pratically impossible to fix all misconfigured Windows clients and
stop the DDNS updates attemps, since they are systems from all over the
world and out of my control.

It looks like Bind 9.3.0 (final version is still to be released) has an
"update-security" category that I could use to ignore the dynamic
updates failures.

It would be great if that category would be backported to Bind 9.2.x, in
particular to 9.2.4, which I think is going to be released soon.

Do you know if that will ever happen?

It looks like that category is even available in Bind 8.3.x (8.3.5 and
newer), I wonder if there is a reason to not add it to Bind 9.2.x.

Is there any workaround for the current Bind 9.2.x versions, other that
completely ignoring all the "security" category (which I don't think is
a good idea)?

Thanks!