No name resolve after IP-Change

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Sep 3 22:49:24 UTC 2004

> > > No I' ve sniff on on th extrnal "ppp0".
> > >
> > > For me it looks like the request-package goes out but the ISPs
> > > DNS-Server dosn't send a response.
> > >

> > > SWus
> >
> > 	Did you double check the source address is
> > 	the new address associated w/ the interface?
>
> Hey, this is exactly the problem. When IP changes, Packages still go
> out with the old external IP-address.
> So of course there can't be any response. I guess this is no longer a
> question about bind, but do you have any
> idea what kind of failure this could be? Looks like an iptables
> problem?

	It looks like you need to flush your NAT tables when you
	get a new connection.  I normally don't Linux based NAT
	boxes so I suggest that you go to a Linux support list to
	find out how to do this.

	For FreeBSD w/ ipnat the command is

		ipnat -FC -f newruleset

	You could also ask your ISP why they are being stupid and
	giving you a new IP address every time you log in.  You
	have DSL and there is no reason not to give you the same
	address everytime.  DSL is a service that supports always
	on.  This means they have to have enough addresses to support
	every client simultaneously.  This also means that they can
	give you the same address everytime you log on.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org