HSRP-like virtual DNS services.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Sep 4 15:15:50 UTC 2004

In article <chboej$2k64$1 at sf1.isc.org>, phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:

> Have you actually read rfc1034 ? Have you seen that DNS _IS_ a redundant
> service ?  Just mke shure that your zone is delegated to at least two
> dns-servers located sufficientky far apart.

That's true for authoritative DNS servers being queried from outside.
But it doesn't address the issue of caching servers for local clients.

Resolvers typically allow you to specify multiple nameservers, but they
often have a relatively long timeout (a few seconds) to switch over to
the backup server.  And they go through this timeout for every query; so
even if the timeout were only 1 second, when you multiply it for all the
queries that take place it becomes very painful.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA