Load balancing, setting up 2 IP addresses for the same website...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 8 04:02:17 UTC 2004

Umar Pirzada wrote:

>Hi
>
>i was just wondering how www.yahoo.com gives 7-8 IP addresses on a
>nslookup query? This does mean that they have some sort of load
>balancing implemented. If a query for www.yahoo.com is from asia it
>goes to another server, if from europe it goes to another....

As you'll notice, www.yahoo.com is actually just an alias for
www.yahoo.akadns.net, i.e. Akamai, which does all of this fancy
"geographic" load-balancing, using their proprietary, patented
technology, yadda yadda yadda. Note that the actual load-balancing
happens behinds the scenes, and the fact that the answer to
www.yahoo.com has several A records in it doesn't *in*and*of*itself*
imply that any fancy load-balancing is going on. Anybody can have
multiple A records associated with a DNS name, and just let it
randomize, or, for a relatively crude form of load-balancing, could use
BIND's "sortlist" mechanism to try and split up the load based on the
source-address ranges of the clients.

>How do they do this? I have a website hosted and i want to do
>something of the same sort. For a start i want to set up my server to
>give services from 2 subnets....i mean to say that i have radio
>connectivity with 2 ISPs. At the moment i have a primary LINK and a
>backup link. what i want to do is utilize both the links at the same
>time and create a load balancing scenario. I hope i am making my point
>clear. I want to set up two LAN cards with differnt IP addresses from
>the 2 ISPs and then somehow create the situation where both are active
>at both times.
>
>What do i do? Plz guide...

 From a DNS perspective, you could have multiple A-records associated
with your site's name, as previously mentioned, with or without
sortlists. Or you could pay a significant amount of money to put
together a *true* load-balancing solution.