Subdomains on Slave?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 8 04:54:55 UTC 2004

In article <chks5c$26n5$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 starman7 at hotmail.com (Mooky Mooksgill) wrote:

> My ISP hosts my domain's DNS.
>
> I'd like to specify public DNS servers as  DNS servers 3 and 4 at my
> registrar.
>
> I want to be able to manage subdomains myself w/o dealing w/ my ISP.
>
> If I designate these nameservers (3 and 4) as slaves, will I still be
> able to edit subdomain info on them, and have it propagate?
>
> Or do I have to have all the info on the primaries (thus making me
> deal with my ISP)?

The parent domain has to contain delegation records for the subdomains,
and possibly glue records for the subdomains' nameservers.  But the
contents of the subdomains only has to be on the nameservers you manage.

Since the ISP manages the parent domain, you need to deal with them to
have these records added.  So you only have to deal with them once per
subdomain, and from then on you control everything.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA