simple: how to add hosts for higher domain ?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 9 23:50:59 UTC 2004

In article <chpo5f$ran$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Uwe Heinz Rudi Dippel <Udippel at uniten.edu.my> wrote:

> What we were planning to do was, to make dns2 deliver the (private) DMZ-IP
> of helper *when you contact dns2*; e.g.
> dig @dns2.uniten.edu.my helper
> should bring a 10.10.10.21
>
> So that bind would resolve dns2, helper (and other DMZ-machines) when
> contacted; while recursing / forwarding any other request.
> Delegation isn't needed, because helper and dns2 have their entries in the
> master of uniten and can be contacted flawlessly from the Internet.

You need to create a separate zone for each hostname that you want to
override on dns2.

zone "dns2.uniten.edu.my" {
  type master;
  file "dns2.db";
};
zone "helper.uniten.edu.my" {
  type master;
  file "master.db";
};

and so on.

Each of these zone files would look like:

@ IN SOA ...
  IN NS dns2.uniten.edu.my.
  IN A <address>

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu