BIND 9.2.4rc8 Multithreading on Win32

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Fri Sep 10 00:52:19 UTC 2004

I've been reading that threading is enabled by default on certain platforms
with the newer BIND 9 versions and you can also manually enable it when
compiling it. However, what about the Win32 binary package available from
ISC? Is it enabled by default? If not, how do you enable it? Is this
related to the the -n option?

I have three servers running BIND. One has two processors with
hyperthreading (and BIND correctly identifies 4 CPU's in the event log when
starting). On the other two servers there is only a single processor and
BIND reflects that in the event log. If I start named.exe from the command
line with -f -n4 it will show 4 processors in the event log. If I modify
the image path in the registry to do just -n4 and start it, it only shows 1
CPU. Is this possibly a bug in named or at least the Win32 version? Does it
require the -f to listen to the -n switch making it only useful when not
running as a service?

More importantly, am I even barking up the right tree doing this? Is this
how you "enable" threading on Win32? Thanks in advance for any help, advice
and/or answers!

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.