reverse lookup for single address

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Sep 10 23:57:10 UTC 2004

You seem to be making this more confusing than is necessary. There are
really only 2 different possibilities here:

1) Your ISP has reverse records for 12.34.56.78, 12.34.56.80 and any/all
other addresses in that range that you care about, in the
56.34.12.in-addr.arpa zone. In this case, you don't need any
"redirection" since you can resolve these reverse records from your ISP.
For redundancy, you might want to set yourself up as a slave, or
2) Your ISP is missing 1 or more of the records you care about in its
56.34.12.in-addr.arpa  zone. "Redirection" doesn't help you here since
your ISP doesn't have the records you want. You could either persuade
your ISP to add records for that/those address(es), or set each on up
selectively as master zones (e.g. 80.56.34.12.in-addr.arpa) on your own
server, but then you're stuck maintaining them. Another option would be
to set up 56.34.12.in-addr.arpa as a master zone on your nameserver,
thus "overriding" the version of that zone from the point of view of
anyone explicitly using your nameserver, but then you'd have to maintain
*all* of the records in that zone -- you'd never query your ISP for any
reverse records in that range.

                                                            - Kevin