subdomain problem...

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Sep 12 05:35:40 UTC 2004

In article <chutj0$24dp$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Tom Schmitt" <TomSchmitt at gmx.de> wrote:

> > > The subdomain can contain several zones, so what is
> > > the goal putting them all together in one zonefile?
> >
> > The question should be asked the other way around: if the subdomains are
> > being hosted by the same server as the parent domain, what's the goal of
> > putting them in different zonefiles?
>
> - today they are no administrative differences, but maybe in the future you
> want to delegate a zone elsewhere. If the zone is on its own, you only have
> to change who the master ist for the zone. If all records are in one zone,
> you must change every record.
>
> - if you put all records in one zone, you increase your traffic to all
> secondarys which cannot do incremental updates like NT4.

Unless it's a large domain, these differences are minor.

> So what is the reason to make not for each zone a seperate zonefile?

To keep things simple, by having fewer zone statements in the
named.conf, and fewer files to manage.

I never actually said you shouldn't split into multiple zones.  I was
replying to a post that implied that you have to have a separate zone
for each subdomain.  You can use or not use separate zones as you see
fit.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA