incomplete lookup

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Mon Sep 13 09:52:09 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to lookup dns-entries for the domain name ecu.com.cn. For
com.cn, trhe following nameservers are responsible:

sld-ns5.cnnic.net.cn
cns.cernet.net
sld-ns1.cnnic.net.cn
sld-ns2.cnnic.net.cn
sld-ns3.cnnic.net.cn
sld-ns4.cnnic.net.cn

Unfortunately, cns.cernet.net doesn't respond to queries. Usually, the
resolver should use one of the other nameservers. But when I'm trying to
lookup the domain name through a caching only BIND 9.2.3, I don't get
any result. It seems, that BIND doesn't check the other nameservers. How
can I verify this? Why doesn't BIND use the other nameservers if one of
them fails?

dig @cns.cernet.net ecu.com.cn any

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @cns.cernet.net ecu.com.cn any
;; global options:  printcmd

  dig @sld-ns4.cnnic.net.cn ecu.com.cn any

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @sld-ns4.cnnic.net.cn ecu.com.cn any
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ecu.com.cn.                    IN      ANY

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
ecu.com.cn.             86400   IN      NS      ns.xinnet.cn.
ecu.com.cn.             86400   IN      NS      ns.xinnetdns.com.

;; Query time: 359 msec
;; SERVER: 61.145.114.119#53(sld-ns4.cnnic.net.cn)
;; WHEN: Mon Sep 13 11:50:43 2004
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 82

Regards
Marten