CNAME and other DATA error in BIND 8.4.4

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Sep 15 20:22:15 UTC 2004

Richard Zinar <Richard.Zinar at overture.com> wrote:
> I know the standard reason for this error, but I can't see any reason
> it should be triggered by the
> following zone file:

> $TTL 3600

> @       IN      SOA             ns1.overture.com.
> dns-admin.overture.com. (
>                 2004032900      ; Serial (YYYYMMDDNN)
>                 10800           ; refresh period
>                 3600            ; retry refresh this often
>                 604800          ; expiration period
>                 86400 )         ; minimum TTL

>                 MX  10 mx1.overture.com.
>                 MX  20 mx2.overture.com.
>                 NS  ns1.overture.com.
>                 NS  ns02.overture.com.

> localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
> inventory      IN      CNAME   redir.overture.com.

> www             IN      CNAME   www.overture.com.

> @                IN      A       61.213.167.165

> dtc             IN      CNAME   redir.overture.com.

> cms          MX  20  mx1.overture.com.
>                 MX  10  mx2.overture.com.

> The corresponding named.conf entry is:

>    zone "tw.overture.com" {
>         type master;
>         file "tw.overture.com";
>    };

> The DNS server is BIND 8.4.4 running on Solaris 8.  Is there some
> compile option
> or named.conf option which might trigger this behavior, or am I
> overlooking something
> obvious.  The file above is the entire zone file.  Thanks ...

There is no cnme conflict here :
> named-checkzone tw.overture.com. x
zone overture.com/IN: loaded serial 2004032900
OK
(where the above zonefile is saved in file x (

Are you running chrooted and editing the wrong file ?

A comment :
you are using a default TTL of 1h but negative cache of 24h . Is that
really your intention or have you got that backwards ?

--
Peter Håkanson