reverse lookups with dig for internal domains

Sai balasubramanyam gsaibala at corp.untd.com
Thu Sep 16 07:13:19 UTC 2004

Hi all

I have been scratching my head for the past two - three days to come
to terms with  an inexplicable (atleast it seems so to to me )
behaviour of dig. Let me explain it ..

We have an  internal domain in the private ip space , which cannot be
looked up from external world. When I do a dig -x <ip> from our
internal name server

 say dig -x 10.1.1.1

gives the host name right

but the authority section is from the root zone
-----------
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
10.in-addr.arpa.        9h6m59s IN NS   BLACKHOLE-1.IANA.ORG.
10.in-addr.arpa.        9h6m59s IN NS   BLACKHOLE-2.IANA.ORG

When I follow that up with a qury like

 dig ns 1.1.10.in-addr.arpa

I get the name servers right ( that of our internal domain )

and now when I  try to reverse lookup any ip in the internal domain
the authority section of the answer is coming out absolutely right
ever after .

thoughts/comments ?
Sai.