tcp errors

Rick Jones foo at bar.baz.invalid
Wed Sep 1 00:07:13 UTC 2004

Larry Adamiec <ladamiec at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know what would cause the following error?

> My DNS server does not seem to be affected in any way.

> Aug 31 12:11:43.906 dispatch: error: dispatch 377210:
> shutting down due to TCP receive error: connection
> reset

Just a guess, but the remote client either used an abortive close()
(naughty naughty) of its connection, or the remote client't TCP
gave-up on getting a request to the server and reset the connection
(and the reset happened to make it through).

Or, the server took long enough to reply to the query that the remote
client gave-up and did a "normal" close() of the connection, and the
arrival of the response data (the client's FIN and the server's data
crossing somewhere in the net) triggered the reset.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...