Understanding logging.

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Sep 22 11:23:19 UTC 2004

    Geir> What does the + the - and the E at the end of the lines
    Geir> mean?  I've started to notice them after I upgraded from
    Geir> 9.2.x to 9.3.0rc3.

The + and - indicate whether the RA (Recursion Available) bit was or
wasn't set in the query. If it's set, the query probably came from a
name server that is saying it can do recursion and would be happy to
get a referral response. If it's not set -- indicated by the minus
sign -- the query probably comes from a stub resolver that expects the
name server to perform the resolution. EDNS0 queries are indicated by
the letter E in the logs.