frustrating lookup problem

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 23 02:11:42 UTC 2004

In article <cisfu7$t8n$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Chris Sherman <csherman at allegheny.edu> wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Chris Sherman <csherman at allegheny.edu>
> Date: September 22, 2004 2:05:35 PM EDT
> To: bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: frustrating lookup problem
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm having trouble looking up a few sites(a provider) from my master
> server, but not from my slave, so of course, people using the master
> cannot browse and send mail to some sites hosted by vianetworks.net(in
> WHOIS).  Setting the query type to any on the master - the info shows
> up fine, but still no A records(session below).

I'm a bit confused by your references to master and slave servers.  A
server is master or slave for specific zones, it's not a general
property of the server.  Is your server master or slave for any of the
zones you're asking about?

> I'm having trouble with the following:
>
> creativeimprintsystems.com 66.155.17.134
> tower23.com     66.155.55.3
> sipco.com     66.155.40.24

tower23.com has a serious problem with its delegation.  The delegation
points to {ns1,ns2}.imconline.net, but the NS records in the zone itself
are {ns4,ns5}.vianetworks.net.

> master is running 8.1.2 on tru64 v5.0(I'm trying to get this fixed
> before I upgrade bind)
>
> in my master's cache:
> tower23 155405  IN      NS      ns1.imconline.net.      ;Cr=addtnl
>

> #nslookup
> Default Server:  localhost
> Address:  127.0.0.1
>
>  > server pellns
> Default Server:  pellns.allegheny.edu
> Address:  141.195.5.200
>
>  > tower23.com
> Server:  pellns.allegheny.edu
> Address:  141.195.5.200
>
> *** pellns.allegheny.edu can't find tower23.com: Non-existent
> host/domain

It's really hard to tell what's wrong when you use nslookup, it doesn't
give precise errors.  Try dig.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA