bind 9.2.3 with dynamic DNS

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Sep 24 13:26:03 UTC 2004

Zakaria Lodi wrote:
> I recently upgraded our DNS from bind 4 to bind 9 running on Solaris 2.6.
> The migration went well. Now we want to introduce Active directory in
> windows which requires dynamic DNS. I want to keep UNIX servers with static
> entries and windows desktop and servers with dynamic DNS. Any suggestion
> will be greatly appreciated.

In addition to the other replies, let me add this --

1) Look at the archives of bind-users (and also the bind9-users)
   mailing lists,  bind9-users was merged into bind-users a number
   of months ago, but the bind9-users archive still exists on the
   isc.org web site.  These archives contain MANY W2k/AD-related
   postings over the past years.

2) There are a number of options, including

   a) Use DDNS only for the W2k "_" zones, and have the workstation
      registrations static in BIND.  The DDNS can be on a W2k DNS
      Server or BIND.

   b) Put the W2k workstations in a sub-domain and have the workstations
      self-register or register via DHCP.  Again the DDNS can be either
      W2k or BIND.

   c) If you use W2k DNS, then you can slave the zones on your BIND
      server(s).

   All of these, and others, have been previously discussed and are in
   the archives.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov